For many, the holiday season brings joy and happiness, but it can also bring danger. Fires during the holiday season claim the lives of many Americans and injure even more. The statistics below are provided by the United States Fire Administration (USFA)
The average number of lives lost due to holiday fires is 400, and the average number of injuries due to holiday fires is 1,650.
Some safety tips to help you and your loved ones stay safe and happy this holiday season:
– Use only non-flammable decorations (be sure to place the tree and any decorations away from heat vents)
– Maintain holiday lights (check for frayed wires, bare spots, or gaps in insulation)
– Do not overload electrical outlets (do not link more than 3 strands together, unless directions indicate it is safe)
– Avoid using lit candles (more than half of all December home decoration fires are started by candles)
– Don’t block exits (be sure your tree or decorations do not block an exit, as this is a safety hazard)
Source: ServPro, Fire & Water Cleanup and Restoration
Please follow these helpful tips to be sure you enjoy a SAFE and happy holiday season.
All of us here at Russ Holcomb Insurance wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!